Thursday, March 8, 2012

LAOSHI

Laushi, Laushi!

The constant ringing in my ears. Pronounced "Laouw-sher" it means "Teacher". I have been in China for one week now and have been teaching for six days. I have now learned the meaning of the word "observe"- to observe that there is a need for teachers in a class and now I must teach it!

............

I departed from the grand old USA last Wednesday and got delayed on my flight out of JFK by about an hour. I flew a mostly uneventful flight from JFK to Beijing, but not to be disappointed, I could not make it smoothly into Xiamen.
I have always wondered what it would be like to be stranded in a city over night and have the airline pay for a hotel room. Don't ever wonder that. Don't wish it. Don't think it would be cool. It's not all it's hyped up to be.
We arrived at the Golden Phoenix Hotel about 2-3 hours after I should have left for Xiamen. Needless to say, it was not very golden, and once in line another American I had met about an hour earlier informed me that unless we paid 150rmb more, we had to share rooms with another guest. Needless to say that 150rmb seemed a rather small price to pay for privacy and a quiet room after a 14 hour flight with a few hundred other people, and hours in 3 different airports.
The next morning I arrived at the airport excited and ready to get to my final destination...and hour and a half after departure time we finally left Beijing- Xiamen bound.

Friday I met my new boss and host family. I was told that I would be staying with a Chinese mom and her daughter and I would have my own room/bathroom. When we arrived at the house we found that I would be taking the daughter's room and sharing a bathroom with three or four other people as the family had guests for 3 months that that they neglected to tell us about. Needless to say, the mom only wanted me there to teach English and the situation soon demanded that I find a new place to stay for my own sanity. Now I am staying in a hotel room until the apartment I will be renting becomes empty.

Saturday I was supposed to observe for a few hours, but ended up observing for 40 min before jumping in and teaching two classes.
Sunday I went to an international fellowship and greatly enjoyed my time there with some fellow brothers and sisters! The afternoon was spent with some new found friends and coworkers.
Monday saw me observing my new kindergarten class in the morning with tutoring in the afternoon.
Tuesday-Thursday I taught my new kindergarten class and tutored most afternoons and evenings. My tutoring classes consist of ages 5-14 years old and I tutor at 4 different schools.

I have been completely overwhelmed by how the pieces continue to fall in to place for me and for those who I am working with over here. He is good and his mercies endure forever. Truly.



1 comment:

  1. So exciting, Jo!!! :D can't wait to hear more! Love ya, sis!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete