Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Miracle of the French Baguette

One girl in China.
Far away from home.
...........
So anyone who knows me at all knows that I love my pasta and bread. I'm German and Italian- and they tell me to watch my carb intake- with that kind of blood? Yeah right.
So I've been living in China for eh, 3 weeks today actually. Three weeks. Not a very long time.
But three weeks of VERY limited bread and pasta? And not that I am complaining, but Chinese bread is very different from Italian bread. No country white with a dusting of flour on the crispy crust...
I can almost smell the warm inviting aroma of freshly baked bread...
When I decided to come, I told my Father that I would come, but I was really going to miss  not having pasta and bread. I knew I could survive without it, but it's like my favorite food in the whole wide world! Well, I was in an expensive Western food store and spied gnocchi!! You can just hear my squeals of delight when my eyes clapped on to the package of beautiful potato pasta and my eyes traveled up the shelves scanning each shelf for Alfredo sauce.
Check.
(Granted, it cost at least double what it would cost in the States, but sometimes you just gotta go for it!)
All I needed now was the bread.
I was told there are two stores on the island that carry anything similar to Italian bread or a French Baguette. I was only going to have contact with one of them, so it kind of had to be at that store.
Well, I entered the store and was greeted with some Sinatra and rugby shaped bread. I knew I liked the place, but I could not find a single loaf of country Italian bread or a French baguette.
My heart started to sink.
I happened to walk past the kitchen and noticed the baker packaging a long loaf of bread.
It was fate. Sinatra continued on....
I knew it was a baguette!!
I walked over to the kitchen with my American friend and she said something quickly in Chinese to the baker and he looked at me and handed me the baguette!
Now, based on the price of the last several items I bought for the delectable dinner, and rumors I had heard about how expensive this bakery was, I was expecting it to be pretty pricey.
Yeah....it cost me about $1.05usd.
That's right 8rmb. That's it.
Sinatra continued on as I walked out of the store, sugary substance crystallizing on my strawberries on a stick in one hand, and the aroma of my freshly baked French baguette wafting to my nose from the other hand.

He does it just because he can, you know? He knows what we love and it makes him smile to see how excited we get over the "little" things like gnocchi alfredo and French baguette with roasted garlic and herbs smeared all over the top. I love that he loves to do that- He's my Father and He loves me more than I know. Truly!

No comments:

Post a Comment