Sunday, March 11, 2012

Purim

Purim: A Jewish holiday which name originates from Haman casting lots to decide on the day that the Jews would be annihilated from the kingdom.

A British student here suggested that we celebrate the Jewish holiday of Purim. None of us had ever celebrated a Jewish festival before, but his reasoning convinced me to join the group celebrating and I am glad I did! Not only did we enjoy fantastic food from a northern province in here, but also wonderful fellowship around the meal and following the meal when we gathered to read the book of Esther.
Jews are known for their active listening when reading stories such as Esther's so we were to boo and hiss at the name of Haman and cheer for Mordicai and Esther. As you might imagine, it was the most exciting reading of the book of Esther that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Between the booing, hissing, cheering, and wailing, we acted out the story a bit, making it literally come alive to us!  I had never read a story out of the book like this before, but I so wish I had! The concepts that came alive to me are still resonating in my head and heart.

We talk about Esther and how brave she was, stepping out and trusting. How she saved the whole kingdom- just by being brave. (Obviously a lot more goes into it than that, I realize that and I know we know that....) But the point is, how many of us have been given tasks like Esther's but shied away from it for fear of humiliation or destruction? Maybe someone else has been given our task because we failed to complete it?
For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?
I never realized before that the deliverance would have come from someone/somewhere else if Esther did not complete her "mission". But it's true, if we fail to step out when we are given a mission, someone else will. If He commands it, it must be done, whether by you or someone else. What a tragedy to have such a high calling, such a purpose in life and to choose against it!


Now for one more thought: the whole idea of deliverance.
Deliverance.
Everyone needs compassion. Kindness, the hope of nations!
Every day. Every moment. My chains are gone, I've been set free! I have been DELIVERED! What a concept, what a thought! I am delivered. I was a slave in bondage, and I have been given deliverance. I am still pondering this idea. Deliverance from a sharp tongue, deliverance from a stubborn thought, deliverance from a sad attitude, deliverance from unwillingness.
Deliverance.
 The Jews have a whole festival to remember their deliverance from death and bondage under King Ahasuerus, do we celebrate our deliverance? It doesn't necessarily have to be a "festival" per say, but maybe a little joyfulness to the one who delivers?

No comments:

Post a Comment