Sunday, February 24, 2013

May the Words of My Mouth...

Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
Colossians 4:5-6
................................

I feel like this really does not need any more from me. No explanation or anything. But becuse I have a thing with words I guess I will continue. :P

I was reading in my devos this morning about being intentional about letting God direct my day. Slowing down, giving thanks, resting in the peace of His presence. All very good reminders, very timely and going right along with everything God's been teaching me these last couple of weeks. One of the verses that was sited in the devo was Colossians 4:2-

"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving."

Which was great in light of what I was reading. Because of my insatiable curiosity I was prompted to continue reading through the chapter and came upon the two verses quoted above. Several things jumped out at me and I wanted to share them with you...

Toward outsiders: Walk in wisdom toward outsiders? Coming from such a performance based background, my first instinct was to slam on the bakes and say, "Wha??? I get the 'walk in wisdom' part, but do it for other people??" But there is no limit on this. It's not just for outsiders to see a difference in us, but it is the other way around. We walk in wisdom and as a result outsiders inevitably see it. 

The best use of the time: There are SO many things that we can do with out time. Lately I find myself toggling between spending an amazing amount of time in the word/study and talking with friends back home (both in China and the US) It's been a great few days of retreat for me. (apparently MUCH needed) While it has been most helpful to me, I find myself drawn to mindless things to do on the internet, whether watching the next episode of Psych, playing a relax game on Facebook (yes. Bubble Safari is surprisingly relaxing for me), or looking for the latest pins on Pinterest- I find myself intermittently spending a hours on these activities (if you combine all the time spent on each a day). While it is really great for me to actually have the time to spend doing all this, it is not the best use of my time right now. Wisdom says, "making the best use of your time".

Always: Let your speech always be gracious. There is no room for momentary slander, frustration taken out on someone in anger, criticism, destructive teasing, etc. Salt hurts, but it purifies. So also should our speech be purified. I tend to be very critical with my words and assessments of other- especially when I am in a place where there are SO many international styles (both external and internal) and I tend to be very quick to criticize (normally not very discreetly) things that I see or hear that I don't like. This is not always gracious, definitely an area to be improved upon. 

But how wonderful that the Father takes time to reveal His character to us, isn't it? How wonderful that the Spirit speaks to us in ways that are so clear and pointed! But we must be listening to Him. We must have eyes to see Him and ears to hear Him. What is getting in the way of your receiving Him today? 

Won't you join me in my quest to walk in wisdom continually and let my life be seasoned with grace? May His name be praised continually, for He has done great and marvelous things!

No comments:

Post a Comment