Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Change in the Wind

Well, here it is! 
My big news. 
………………….
I started writing this blog as a way to keep you all connected, in some small way, to me, what God teaches me, and my life here in China. I haven't always been on top of it, but that time has come to an end. My adventure in China has come to an end….at least for now.

After a lot of prayer and information gathering, I will be moving to Germany this summer!
It's a huge step for me and, in many ways, feels like more of a step of faith than my move to China (crazy how that works, right??) .

I will be going back to school, but this time not as a teacher. That's right, I'm going to be a student again! I will be going to a small city in South Western Germany, about 5k from France and 20k from Switzerland. My goal is to enroll in a program in Romance Studies (no, not the mushy stuff). I will, Lord willing, have the opportunity to study 4-5 European languages while studying culture and history. I am also looking for an apprenticeship in cooking while I am there.

This is a huge change for me, but I am very excited about it (Who wouldn't want to study and learn cooking in Europe??). I believe that this is the next step that Abba has for me and I'm so glad He is going with me!

As a side note, as I study German (try studying German in China….it's so beyond any challenge that you can imagine…) and look at pictures of the city I will be moving to, I can't wait to have a plethora of fresh cheeses, sausages, and breads!

I would really appreciate your prayers as I make this ginormous transition from teaching in Asia to studying in Europe. While it is very exciting, it is also very difficult. In many ways, I had begun to look at China as my earthly 'home' and had begun to sink roots here. Leaving my school- my students and co teachers- is really very hard for me, and I'm currently going through transition emotions that I never knew existed before. This is all quite uncharted transition for me.

Ways to pray?

1. Confidence even when the move gets difficult.
I believe God is in this move, but that doesn't mean that I won't struggle with doubts along the way. Prayers for confidence and wisdom are coveted.

2. Finances to make the move/live.
While my school here will pay for the ticket to fly over there, I will still be covering the expenses along the way- extra luggage fees, food and hostels along the way, etc.
While many universities in Germany are tuition free, I will still have to pay for living expenses, student fees, and health insurance. I mentioned earlier my desire to work as an apprentice in a kitchen, but until the paycheck comes in, things will be very tight.

3. Language Tests
Well I am going for language study already, but in order to make it into my program, I will need to pass the exams for a very high level of German first. I may take the first semester in Germany to do a focused language study at the university, but that will go back to request #2…Language school is not tuition free…. :)

4. Body 
I feel strongly that this move will be to join God's work with a local body in the city I'm moving to. Pray that I will find that body quickly once arriving and that He will provide a network there that will help with transitions. Also pray that God will prepare me to receive and give in the local body there.

I can't even tell you enough how excited I am to finally get to share this news with you.
Thank you all SO MUCH for your support through prayer and encouragement! 


Tschüss!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment