Monday, July 15, 2013

Just a Whisper...

"I need something"
"What do you need?"
"I don't know, a word, a love note, something!"
..............................
The above conversation happened about a week ago between my roommate and I. We both started praying that I would soon receive whatever it was I needed. I did not have a clue what it was, but I knew that my heart was needy and only He could fix it.

The next morning (or morning after that, can't remember for sure), I woke up and read my devos. My devo book read,

Whenever you feel distant from Me, whisper My Name in loving trust. this simple prayer can restore your awareness of My Presence... The grating rancor of the world's blasphemies cannot compete with a trusting child's utterance: "Jesus". The power of My Name to bless both you and Me is beyond your understanding."

Followed by a verse from John 16:

Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

I was floored. Instantly I remembered my prayer the night before. I about pounced on Ray as she came up the stairs because I was so excited to share my Word with her. There was one word that stuck out to me ~

Whisper.

Just after I read the message I silently whispered His name in my head. Instantly a smile grew in my heart and on my face. I knew He was there. I thought about it several more times throughout that day and the next, whispering it to myself and in my head and being amazed at the simplicity of it, yet the immense peace that it brought me.

My last night in Ohio was a perfect one. The night before there had been a dreadful storm, (I thought it was pretty cool actually - we don't really get green skies or tornado warnings/sightings in China) but that night was just perfect. The skies were clear, the sun warm, the breeze cool, and the ducks.....well... quacking. We walked down to a pond and just stood there on the tiny bridge reminiscing and musing over our lives, and where He's brought us. Then we went back and played a game and walked out to sit in the cool of the evening and read. Ray got a lot of reading done, I got about eight words read before I got distracted by the scene in front of me. Across a couple of lawns, there was a cluster of trees and under the trees there was a small play set. Suddenly I saw dozens of fireflies start coming up from the ground and flying around for just a moment before extinguishing. It looked enchanted, like fairies coming out to make the whole night a little bit better. In that moment I remembered His name and whispered, "Jesus" to myself. Instantly, once again, my attention was drawn to an awareness that He was sitting there with me on the swing, musing over His creation. He was, oh, I don't know, dancing among the "fairies" under the trees across the way- His beauty just egging them on to dance a wondrous gift of worship to Him. He was inside with Gram and Grandpa helping them get ready to drive us south the next day. He was with my roommate in China. He was quieting my heart, whispering, "Peace, be still."

Some dear sisters in China recently wrote a beautiful song entitled, Whispers:

Maybe some day through my whispers I will get through to you. Maybe one day, and I hope it comes 'round soon, you'll encounter the truth.

I was reminded that I am not the only one who whispers though I do not wait, listening attentively to catch His whispers, I think He often whispers his messages of love to me. I am just too busy to listen. How much more would I escape the ensnarement of despair if I would slow down long enough to hear His whispers?  So that is where I write you from tonight. Battling despair, yet once again, Over and over again I hear in my head,

Why are you cast down, oh my should and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God and you will yet again praise His holy name!

And I know in my head that the morning is coming Hope is here now. He is whispering. So why can I not hear Him right now? I will cling to the hope that I have heard Him time and time again and I will keep crying out to Him. For my Abba hears me, and He will rescue me.
Here's to His attentive whispers. May we not block them out with the noise of our souls!

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him, how I've proved Him o're and o're. Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, Oh for grace to trust Him more!

No comments:

Post a Comment