Sunday, October 14, 2012

Altar to God

The Israelites were instructed to build altars in the places where God made Himself very real to them.

Wherever He provided what they needed.
Wherever He conquered their giants.
Wherever He saved their lives.
.............................
I went to Haiti about a year and a half ago. I remember that trip being one of the most difficult trips out of the country that I ever took.
The country was hard, the people were hard, and the team did not seem as unified as I had wanted. I was asked to go as a leader on the team and took that very seriously. I wanted to do the best I could for God in that position. I wanted to facilitate a good experience for each team member and see the most work done at the orphanage we were at as possible.

Needless to say, things did not go quite as I had expected, planned or hoped for.

We were met by difficulties at every corner. Financial difficulties getting there, luggage difficulties once we got there, language barriers and lack of communication caused things to go "spiraling out of control". By the end of the trip, I saw God's hand moving, I saw Him working and I slowly learned to let go of my plans and ideas. Just before we left, I noticed some beautiful smooth stones on the ground. I bent over and picked them up. Dirty? Yes. But something prompted me to clean them off and take them home.

Every country I visit I take a souvenir home to remember it by. Haiti being....well, Haiti, did not have many souvenirs. I took the stones to remember what God had done in Haiti and in my heart in Haiti. I stacked them up in my room and it became my altar to God's faithfulness. Since then, I have thought about altars many times and marked moments in my life that serve as an altar to His grace.

Yesterday I went to my old apartment here in China to visit some friends. My first real "home" when I got here. I almost instantly got all sentimental as I thought back to all the many memories I had there (I was only there for 3 months, but a lot can happen in 3 months!!!). I walked out to the balcony and looked over the familiar scene, smelled the familiar smells, and heard the familiar sound of children playing in the street. In the background I heard songs being played of God's faithfulness to His children.

As I looked out over that familiar scene, tears welled up in my eyes. I thought back to the many trials I had faced while in that apartment and how God had always been faithful to carry me through. I thought of how many things He taught me since I left that apartment and looked at the person I have become since I first set foot in that little apartment. Tears spilled out as I thanked God for His grace and love and mercy to me in the last eight months. I could not think of a thing to say, but "Thank you". 

The one thought that kept coming back to me was, "I would not trade any of this for anything in the world. I do not wish that it had happened any other way."

All the time that I was experiencing trials and months of growth and deep  weeding in my heart...all the times I wished there was another way to grow....All the times I thought He did not know what He was doing...He was right there, at work in me, and holding my hand beside me.

I was talking to a friend earlier that day about my experiences in the last year with working in the States and my journey here to China and the familiar Jeremiah 29:11 came up.

"For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

I am so thankful for a God, Father, and Friend who already knows my next move, who is planning to give me a life that glorifies Him and one that is full of hope. Now, whenever I go back to that happy apartment that is so much like home to me, I will remember it as an altar to God's faithfulness to me and His people here.

He is so good. He is so faithful. He is so loving. He is so gracious.

He deserves our remembrance! I would encourage you to mark out altars to God of remembrance for His sovereignty to you. It will amaze and humble you, and strengthen you as you face the trials of today.

He will never leave His children. He will never forsake them. He never has. He never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment