Thursday, April 5, 2012

Rainy Days

Nothing worse than your shoes dying as you walk through the rain...Until your umbrella breaks too.
......
Well, like yesterday marked the beginning of another week of gloomy weather. Sunday-Tuesday were absolutely GORGEOUS days, warm and sunny with a gentle breeze caressing whatever it touched.
Monday was the start of Tomb Sweeping holiday here. Wednesday was the actual holiday, but they celebrate Monday-Wednesday. Unfortunately you have to make up all those days on the weekends....So much for a holiday.
None-the-less I made the most of those three days. Monday was catch up with some family on skype morning followed by a leisurely lunch and 6k on the beach. Ran on the boardwalk that follows the coast of the island for 25 miles or so.
I inhaled deeply- the sea.
I looked around- the sea.
I smiled- the sea.
Everything in me screamed "I LOVE THIS PLACE!!"

Well after my run I made a blackberry cobbler. Which reminds me- I made an chicken Alfredo pasta dish on Sunday, and if I am allowed to say so myself- it was delicious. I splurged a bit on some ingredients but it was SO worth it. The pasta was followed by some little french pound cakes I found topped with my first mango citrus sauce with a little milk for cream.
Heaven.
Sigh. I do love my kitchen so very much!

Tuesday marked Gulongue Island day. Went with a couple of friends and had just a marvelous time bartering for hats and dresses. Enjoyed a sensational mango shaved ice with REAL Hershey's syrup on it. Took a little cart around the island and was able to really enjoy the beauty of this little tourist trap. Tuesday evening went to another noodle place- this was a Japanese noodle shop. After dinner we headed to a KTV place and had a ball- just too much fun! First KTV in Xiamen- much different than in Mengzi! (In a safer sort of way :) )
Wednesday was tea day. My roommate and a friend and I went out tea shopping. I was with two Chinese girls so I was bound to get some good tea, and goodness did I ever! After trying several kinds of tea, I settled on a flower tea- Jasmine, and a white/black tea mix also known as barley tea. We window shopped for a bit and had fun just getting to know each other better. That evening after several other adventures I baked these amazing peanut butter oatmeal bars which are becoming a new staple in my diet.
Today- back to work and back to the clouds. Hoping that these days of rain and smog are soon replaced by warm breezes and sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment